Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sides
Each side has one objective in this game. ”Win for my kingdom.” I am a knight. I glance to my right, I see our bishops, The King and Queen, my brother who is also a knight, and the rook. To my left is another rook. Most of the player’s names in this game are self-explanatory, the rooks are not. They are actually thieves, we use thieves because they’re quick and light-footed. We call them “rooks” instead of “crooks” because of how the King mispronounced “crook”. It stuck. I glance down at the startled villagers on the front line. This is sick. The King orders “ volunteers” to fight in battle. I don’t approve of them being used as pawns in this game. I urge my horse to leap over one of the “pawns” to protect a young one. I see the enemy push a pawn forward. I focus my attention on protecting this pawn. I forgot what was happening around me. Because of that my horse was slain. The beast fell over and kept me pinned to the ground. I don’t know what’s worse, being pinned by a large horse corpse or seeing the other corpses lying around the field. I notice my Queen rushing toward the knight that killed my steed, I try to warn her that they were setting up a trap , but my voice failed me. The enemy Queen rushed to slay my Queen. I watched in horror as she fell. The death still in my mind, I failed to notice the enemy advances toward the King. He knelt to the enemy. We lost the battle. The enemy searched for survivors, they found me along with the pawn I was trying to save. We were taken prisoner. We’ve lost the battle, at least until our swords clash again.

No comments:

Post a Comment